We have made things easier for you by doing a head-to-head comparison of TurboTax vs. H&R Block to enable you to make the right choice based on your needs and budget.
TurboTax vs. H&R Block: A Quick Look at TurboTax
TurboTax is like a virtual assistant for doing your taxes. Whether your tax situation is simple or a bit more complex, TurboTax aims to make the whole tax-filing thing less stressful.
TurboTax also offers a feature called “TurboTax Live” that allows users to connect with a real CPA or EA (Enrolled Agent) for personalized tax advice and review.
Pros of Using TurboTax for Your Taxes
- User-Friendly Interface: TurboTax guides users through the tax-filing process with a step-by-step interface, making it easy for individuals without extensive tax knowledge to understand and complete their returns.
- Variety of Versions: TurboTax offers different versions tailored to specific needs, including Free, Deluxe, Premier, and Self-Employed, catering to a wide range of taxpayers.
- Import Features: It allows users to import financial data from previous years’ returns, as well as W-2s and 1099 forms from various financial institutions, reducing manual data entry.
- Error Detection: TurboTax checks for errors and omissions in real-time, helping users catch mistakes and maximize their deductions.
- Audit Assistance: Users have access to audit assistance tools and support in the event of an IRS audit.
Cons of Using TurboTax for Your Taxes
- High Cost: While there is a free version, TurboTax can become expensive for more complex tax situations, especially if you need to upgrade to a higher-tier version.
- Add-On Fees: Some features, like live assistance or certain forms, may come with additional fees beyond the base price of the software.
- Over-Reliance on Automation: While TurboTax is efficient, relying solely on automated features might lead to missing out on certain deductions or credits that a tax professional could identify.
TurboTax vs. H&R Block: A Quick Look at H&R Block
H&R Block offers a user-friendly interface and excellent customer support, with the option to work with tax professionals in-person or virtually.
If you have a slightly complex tax situation or prefer more personalized assistance, H&R Block might be a good fit. H&R Block also offers a feature called “Best of Both,” which allows you to start your return online and switch to in-person help if needed.
Pros of Using H&R Block for Your Taxes
- Expertise: H&R Block employs tax professionals who are knowledgeable about tax laws and regulations, ensuring accurate and thorough tax preparation.
- Quick Access: Their online software and mobile app allow users to prepare and file taxes from the comfort of their homes.
- Support: H&R Block provides customer support to address questions and concerns throughout the tax preparation process.
Cons of Using H&R Block for Your Taxes
- Complex Situations: While they handle various tax situations well, extremely complex financial situations might require the expertise of a specialized tax professional.
- Upsells: There could be attempts to sell additional services or products that you may or may not need during the tax preparation process.
- Turnaround Time: During peak tax season, there might be delays in getting an appointment or receiving assistance due to high demand.
TurboTax vs. H&R Block: Which Tax Software is Better?
Each platform will be evaluated based on various categories to determine which one is better suited for different types of users and tax situations.
1. Features and Functionality
Both H&R Block and TurboTax have features like support for tax forms, deductions, credits, and e-filing options.
H&R Block boasts a user-friendly interface and a guided process that’s especially helpful for first-time users.
TurboTax provides a comprehensive Q&A format that helps users identify potential tax breaks.
2. User Experience
People consider user experience when buying tax software. Both H&R Block and TurboTax offer user-friendly interfaces that guide users through the tax preparation process.
H&R Block has an intuitive interface. Users who are not familiar with tax concepts will benefit from its step-by-step guide.
TurboTax, on the other hand, is known for its user-friendly platform and interactive questions that adapt based on the user’s responses.
Winner: H&R Block
Tax software must be accurate to avoid mistakes that could lead to penalties or audits. Both H&R Block and TurboTax have high accuracy rates, and they perform regular updates to stay current with tax laws.
H&R Block’s accuracy is commendable but might not match TurboTax’s in complex tax scenarios. TurboTax’s error-checking and audit support further enhance its accuracy.
4. Customer Support
Responsive customer support can make a significant difference during tax preparation.
H&R Block has access to in-person tax professionals, either through chat or at a local office, offering personalized guidance and support.
TurboTax provides live chat, phone support, and access to tax experts for real-time assistance throughout the filing process.
Customers consider price when buying a tax software. No matter how good is a product, if the pricing is not friendly, customers might not want to use it.
Both H&R Block and TurboTax offer tiered pricing plans based on the complexity of your tax situation.
H&R Block generally offers more affordable options for basic tax needs, while TurboTax tends to be pricier but includes more advanced features.
Winner: H&R Block
6. Mobile Experience
Both H&R Block and TurboTax offer mobile apps for convenient tax preparation on the go.
H&R Block offers a mobile app for on-the-go tax preparation, allowing users to upload documents and navigate the tax process conveniently.
TurboTax provides a mobile app as well, ensuring users can seamlessly complete their tax returns from their smartphones.
7. Integration with Financial Software
TurboTax integrates with various financial software and apps, making it easier for users to import financial data.
While H&R Block also offers integration, TurboTax’s wider range of supported platforms gives it an edge in this category.
Based on the comparison, I would recommend TurboTax for its comprehensive form support and specialized features, but H&R Block is an excellent choice for those who value in-person assistance and a dedicated help center.
The winner in each category is:
- Features and functionality: TurboTax
- User-Friendly Interface: H&R Block
- Integration with financial software: TurboTax
- Guidance and Support: Tie
- Cost and Pricing: H&R Block
- Accuracy and Error Checking: Tie
- Mobile Experience: TurboTax
Where To Buy H&R Block and TurboTax Tax Software
You can buy both H&R Block and TurboTax offer their tax software through the following channels:
- Official Websites: You can purchase the software directly from the official websites of H&R Block and TurboTax. Simply visit their websites, select the edition of the software that suits your tax situation, and follow the prompts to purchase and download the software.
- Retail Stores: Many retail stores, such as electronics stores or office supply stores, carry tax software during the tax season. You can visit these stores and look for the H&R Block and TurboTax software on the shelves.
- Online Retailers: Online retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart often have the software available for purchase and digital download. Simply search for the specific software edition you need on these platforms.
- Digital Marketplaces: You might find the software on digital marketplaces like the Apple App Store or Google Play Store for mobile versions of the software.
- Tax Preparation Offices: H&R Block also operates physical tax preparation offices. You can visit these offices to purchase the software.
Conclusion: TurboTax vs. H&R Block
Both H&R Block and TurboTax are popular tax software options, and the better choice depends on your specific needs and preferences.
Ultimately, if your taxes are fairly simple and you’re comfortable navigating through the software, TurboTax can be efficient.
However, if you have more complex financial situations or prefer some extra guidance, H&R Block might offer a more personalized experience.
Consider your individual circumstances to make an informed decision and choose the tax software that aligns best with your requirements.